February 28, 2008

Masculine Gift Box

It's my Dad's birthday on March 1st, so I spent a little time this morning putting together this gift box for him to go with his present. It looks great when finished, but comes together really fast.

I started with a sheet of Creamy Caramel card stock, and printed a template from the Internet onto the card stock. This fry box template comes from a wonderful designer named Brenda Quintana, USA.

After cutting and scoring my box, I stamped all over it with the Linen background stamp in Creamy Caramel ink. Using the linen background with the same colour card and ink gives a gorgeous subtle result, and it really looks like you've used textured cardstock.

Next I sponged the edges of the box with Close to Cocoa ink. I used a stampin' sponge - these are great value, you get three in a pack and I cut each one into 8 wedges. I made sure to sponge a little inside also because the back of the box will show when put together.

One of my favourite things lately has been this "certified handmade" stamp from the Genuine Articles set. I stamped it on the back of my box in Chocolate Chip.

I wanted the box to have even more texture, but still wanted to keep it masculine. I used an image from the Stem Silhouettes set (Summer Mini Catalogue). Because I was going for a slightly distressed look, I inked my stamp with Close to Cocoa, then stamped once onto scrap paper before stamping on my box. This gives me a lighter image that blended better with the overall look of the box. I stamped the same image again right next to the first one, but this time stamped off twice before stamping my box.


After assembling my box using SNAIL adhesive, it was time to decorate!

I used an image from one of my favourite sets, Circle of Friendship. I stamped in Close to Cocoa on a scrap of Creamy Caramel cardstock, then punched out the image with my 1 1/4" circle punch. I created a mat for the image by punching some Close to Cocoa card with the 1 3/8" circle punch. Both circles were sponged with Close to Cocoa ink, then layered together using SNAIL.

I tied a piece of Chocolate Chip grosgrain ribbon around the box, then adhered my circle piece with mini glue dots. I love those little dots, they hold so strong! After that, it was just a matter of filling the box. I put in some pretzels, peanuts and chocolate covered raisins to make a little snack box for my Dad. I'm sure he'll love it!

Stampin' Supplies:
Creamy Caramel, Close to Cocoa and Chocolate Chip ink.
Creamy Caramel and Close to Cocoa cardstock.
Linen background stamp.
Stem Silhouettes, Genuine Article and Circle of Friendship stamp sets.
Stampin' sponges.
1 1/4" and 1 3/8" circle punches.
Chocolate grosgrain ribbon.
SNAIL adhesive.
Mini glue dots.
Mini cello bags.
Gold cord.

All supplies by Stampin' Up!

7 comments:

  1. I love it. Thanks for sharing. I hope to copy you for my four sons.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cool giftbox Sarah. fantastic idea.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very nice! I love the look of your gift box!

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a great project -- love it!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Sarah, I left you a comment on this box over at SCS, but I had to leave another... I just wanted you to know that your fry box is the best one I've seen. Very well done! I'm over in Dallas, but I have a friend in Sydney who's also a SU! demo. I love how this industry links us all together. Anyway, love your work... have a great day!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Sarah
    I only discovered your blog tonight and love this gift box any chance you can give me the template to make it or a link on someones blog.
    Thanks and look forward to visiting again soon.

    ReplyDelete

Your comments mean the world to me - thank you!

I reply to comments via email, so if you would like a reply, please leave your address in the comment!