May 25, 2008

Asian Elegance

Artfully Asian is a set that's been on my wish list for a long time! I finally got it a week or so ago, and promptly made this card. I just hadn't found the time to upload it till now! It's a beautiful set, so fun for colouring - I know I'll be using it often. Here's the step by step:

  • Cover a Mellow Moss card with Designer Series Paper from the Brocade Backgrounds pack. This is one of my favourite paper packs from the new catalogue, the designs are gorgeous!
  • Stamp the Cherry Blossom image on Very Vanilla twice using Basic Gray ink. Basic Gray is the new black! For cards with a softer focus like this one, Basic Gray is perfect - it's waterproof too, so perfect for colouring.
  • Colour the image. I used Watercolour Wonder Crayons (Rich Regals) and a blender pen. I love our blender pens, they give you the control of a marker with whatever colouring medium you use.
  • Distress the edges of your cherry blossom image. I used the distressing tool from the Cutter Kit, another new purchase. It's so fast and easy, and much safer than using scissors. Layer onto a piece of Rose Red card, also distressed. Add two Rose Red brads in the top corner.
  • Stamp the leaf image on Very Vanilla using Mellow Moss ink. I inked my stamp, then stamped off once onto scrap paper before stamping to get that soft effect. Stamp randomly, making sure to go over the edges for a true random effect.
  • Scallop the edge of this layer using the Corner Rounder punch. I used the now retired larger punch we had in last year's catalogue, but the new smaller one will work perfectly.
  • Using the 1/16" Handheld punch, punch inside each scallop for ever more detail.
  • Layer a Mellow Moss piece scalloped in the same way behind this layer, attaching with snail. Layer another strip at the top and distress both this and the Vanilla layer.
  • Tie a piece of Mellow Moss Taffeta around this layer. Add three Rose Red brads at either side then attach to your card base using dimensionals.
  • Attach your main image also using dimensionals. I used two dimensionals layered on top of each other in the top corners of the image, just to accommodate the leafy layer which was already popped up.

This was a really simple card to put together, and I just love how the colours look together. I've left the front free of a sentiment and will stamp one on the inside when I use this card - it would be perfect for any number of occasions.

Have a wonderful and relaxing Sunday,
Sarah

Stampin' Supplies:
Artfully Asian stamp set.
Mellow Moss, Very Vanilla and Rose Red card stock. Brocade Backgrounds paper.
Basic Gray and Mellow Moss ink.
Rose Red (Rich Regals) brads.
1/16" Handheld punch.
Corner Rounder punch.
Cutter Kit.
Watercolour Wonder Crayons - Rich Regals.
Blender pen.
Mellow Moss Taffeta ribbon.
Stampin' Dimensionals.
SNAIL adhesive.
All supplies available from Stampin' Up!

2 comments:

  1. This definately is elegant, just lovely. Another of your cards I'll be casing.
    It's also been selected an an Inspiration Card on NZSU, I'll get it posted tonight.
    Thanks

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, this is gorgeous! I've been wanting if for a long time too and if it's not on the retirement list I'm definitely getting it. Thanks for sharing your creativity with us!

    ReplyDelete

Your comments mean the world to me - thank you!

I reply to comments via email, so if you would like a reply, please leave your address in the comment!