April 5, 2010

Technique Spotlight: Cracked Glass

Hi everyone, I thought it was about time we had another Technique Spotlight post! I know I have a wide range of visitors, so this technique might be new to you, or it could be an old favourite, but hopefully it's inspiring either way!

Cracked Glass is a great way to use those embossing supplies that might not get as much use as they did when you first started stamping. I always say Versamark ink and clear embossing powder are must-have supplies, and this is another reason why!

The technique is simple. Stamp and colour your image. Ink the entire image with your Versamark pad, sprinkle over embossing powder and heat. Repeat 3 or 4 times - I like to repeat the layers of embossing until you see a lot of liquid movement when heating. Then pop the entire thing in the freezer for a minute, it will come out warped - and that's when it's time to get cracking! You can crack your image as much, or as little as you like.

You can, after cracking your image, buff over it with ink to make the cracks show more. I haven't on this card as I went with a lot of cracking, but on cards where I've had a more subtle effect, I have inked. There's a fantastic tutorial on Cracked Glass at SCS that shows the extra step.

Ok...so here's the finished product....
I always seem to go with floral images when I'm doing this technique, they just work so well. I have used a Kraft card base for the C4C31 challenge, and the sketch is from the awesome Karen Giron. The colour combo is Kraft, Very Vanilla, Baja Breeze, Mellow Moss and Soft Sky. I have embossed over the sentiment layer to tie it into the cracked layer. I've used the Circle Scissor Plus to cut all the circles.

I wanted a simple, vintage feel, so kept the edges of my card free of sponging, and instead distressed a little. The inside images are stamped with Sahara Sand which I love using with Kraft.

I've added a new label to my posts - from now on, cards using 100% Stampin' Up! product (retired or current) will be labeled with "SUO" (Stampin' Up! Only) so you can find them easily.


Stamps: Soft Summer, Circle of Friendship, Sweet Little Sentiments
Paper & Card: Kraft, Very Vanilla, Baja Breeze card
Le Jardin Designer Paper
Ink: Soft Sky, Baja Breeze, Sahara Sand, Versamark
Other: Circle Scissor Plus, Heat Tool, Clear Embossing Powder, Cutter Kit, Mellow Moss Taffeta Ribbon, Piercing Tool, SAMJ
E-mail me to purchase.

7 comments:

  1. This is a lovely card Sarah, the cracked glass is perfect for an authentic vintage feel :) Thanks also for the mini tutorial on how its done, I think I'll stash this idea away for a rainy day!

    Lee x

    ReplyDelete
  2. such a pretty card! I would never have thought of this. I figured you would need to buy the product that cracked instead haha.. thank for saving me some mega bucks!

    ReplyDelete
  3. GORGEOUS!!!! I keep wanting to try this technique...just haven't yet.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is gorgeous, I will definately be having a go at this technique- thank you for sharing.x

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your card is beautiful. I love this technique but often forget about it. Thank you for reminding me.

    ReplyDelete
  6. So so beautiful Sarah!!! I love the cracked glass technique and the edge distressing on your card!!! I haven't used this Set in a while....thanks for reminding me that I have it too :)!!!

    Have a wonderful day!!! Hugs ~S~

    ReplyDelete
  7. Ooooh! I have seen this technique around but haven't tried it myself! Have bookmarked this post to use for a technique class for my stamp club! Love all the texture on this card! Stampin' Hugs, Andrea xxx

    ReplyDelete

Your comments mean the world to me - thank you!

I reply to comments via email, so if you would like a reply, please leave your address in the comment!