January 10, 2012

Creative Challenge - Masculine!


Hi everyone! It's time for another Creative Challenge with the My Favorite Things design team. This month we're focusing on Masculine cards. I know I find these more difficult than over-the-top girly cards, so we're bringing you a ton of inspiration to get creating for the guys in your life!


For guy cards, I have a few little tips I usually follow. I like to keep masculine cards more simple layout wise. I try and add a lot of texture, in lieu of girly embellishments. Metal embellishments are always great. I also tend to pierce and faux stitch rather than using actual sewing on masculine cards and usually keep to one or two patterned papers.

For this card I've used cork and hemp twine for texture, as well as jumbo eyelets. I cut my focal layer with the Clearly Sentiment Label Die-namic, then used By the Letters to cut out "dude". I used a white gel pen to outline the letters.

My banner is from the awesome All Star stamp and die-namics set. A row of piercing adds a little something to the card - it looked much more plain without that simple row of holes!


I've kept the inside of my card simple. I stamped the stars and sentiment from All Star, and added the letters left over from creating my focal piece.

Be sure to stop by Kim's Blog for the full list of designers participating today. I hope you're inspired to create a masculine project soon!

Here are the Die-namics I've used today:


  Thanks for stopping by!  
Stamps: All Star (MFT Stamps) Paper: Toy Box (Crate Paper) Ink: Night of Navy (SU) Dies: Postage Stamp Border, Clearly Sentimental Label, By the Letters Die-namics (MFT Stamps) Other: Jumbo Eyelets, Hemp Twine, White Gel Pen, Cork

9 comments:

  1. Nice job, Sarah!!! :) I had never noticed that cool star stamp in the All Star Set before!

    Thanks for sharing!

    Crafty hugs,

    Jennifer
    partridgelu at yahoo dot com

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is so great, love your manly card....the DUDE is perfect

    ReplyDelete
  3. Get out! This is super cool with the cork showing through the negative space of the letters!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is SO cool Sarah! The cork and the colors make for a perfect masculine card!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great card, Sarah. Love the stamped stars.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Very cool card, love the big eyelets and the stamped stars.

    ReplyDelete
  7. LOVE the huge eyelets. Or are they grommets?

    ReplyDelete
  8. I really love the first one! It is so cute and I love working with cork--it always just looks so amazing.

    Thanks for the inspiration!

    Merilee

    ReplyDelete

Your comments mean the world to me - thank you!

I reply to comments via email, so if you would like a reply, please leave your address in the comment!